Thursday, November 5, 2009

Homemade Hand Sanitizer


It's one thing to try keeping the winter "bugs" at bay (Nikki has the right idea - extra layers!), quite another to be poisoning yourself or your kids with chemicals. Commercial handsanitizers are truly a mixed blessing - fast and easy, which encourages hand cleaning that is crucial for not spreading the germies, but the ingredients are scary.



Here's a wonderful solution, one of probably many sanitizer recipes popping up as people seek healthier alternatives to keeping healthy.

Make Your Own Handsanitizer

1 cup aloe vera gel
1 tsp rubbing alcohol
2 tsp vegetable glycerin
8-10 drops tea tree essential oil or lavender essential oil

Mix and store in recycled, fun jars and bottles. This could be the gift of the season, share with family and friends!

For the whole story and some ideas, go see what Patricia has to share at:



http://handmaidenkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/homemade-hand-sanitizer.html



Essential oils are one of my favorite healthcare items. Besides smelling wonderful, they carry the healing properties of each type of plant. The key is to use THERAPEUTIC GRADE essential oils, such as Young Living which I've used for years. DO NOT use craft-type aromothery oils, they won't give the results that pure distilled oils provide.



Here are some oils I use specifically for their antibacterial, antiviral action:



lemon, eucalyptus radiata, peppermint, lavender, melaleuca alternifolia, ravensara, cinnamon, clove, rosemary CT cineol, marjoram, oregano, thyme



Remember, these oils are powerful, treat them with respect. Unless you are completely familiar with them, do not use undiluted on your skin. They can also, along with a number of other essential oils, be diffused to kill airborne bacteria and virus. We have a diffusor for almost every room, and use them generously during "the buggy season".


If you have questions about essential oils and their uses, I'm always just a click away!

While I'm thinking about it, if you are arguing with a cold, or want to prevent one, I have a tasty remedy over at EarthHeart (http://cstauffer.blogspot.com/), labeled "Killer Garlic" - I LOVE this stuff!

Bottom line: Take loving care of YOU!

2 comments:

The Farrs said...

This recipe is great...thanks. I want to learn more about using essential oils...looking forward to picking your brain!

creative side said...

And...don't forget good old tumeric for your food. It works on scratches too and eventually the color goes away.