Monday, February 4, 2008

It's only a waterfall if it rains...

The weekend following a substantial rain storm (the runoff filled the rivers for two whole days before they reverted to sandy beds again - we are NOT in the northwest, folks), Kathy and I finally made it outside city limits to take in the sights. We went to White Tank Mountains Park, only about 17 miles out - a nice drive. And my first real closeup of the desert scenery. We had picked a time when there was a hike with park rangers to a waterfall, with fascinating historical rock art along the way. It was only a mile in and a mile back, steeper than we anticipated in places, with Kodak moments every few feet! The two rangers assured us they had just hiked in and checked, and there really was a waterfall - you have to pick your day to see it.

You'll notice there is no picture of a waterfall. Once there, having clambered up stone steps into the canyon nook, the elusive waterfall was beyond some huge boulders, which I could not climb, around a steep-walled corner, which I'd have to be a lizard to suction onto in order to get around said corner, and not having brought my waders I couldn't get through the pool produced by the invisable -but audible- waterfall. Well, if you've seen one waterfall you've seen 'em all, right? But a desert waterfall...I'm sure I missed something special. Rats.
The desert has a unique beauty, it really grows on you.


Laden with water bottles, binoculars, camera, sunglasses, hat and hiking shoes, we had a great time! I scored three more life birds - Canyon Towhee, Costa hummingbird, and ta-da! a Phainopepla!

I'll save the history talk for when I see you - very interesting, honest!



A day well-spent, we'll be making more trips to the White Tanks!

1 comment:

The Farrs said...

You are having WAY too much fun!! I love your photos. Some of my favorites are the cactus photos. I am going to try the salad...it looks really yummy. I can see that we are all going to flock to your site when you return from D.C. Becky